Legislative Information Update:
YOU MADE A DIFFERENCE! Last month, the MN Senate voted to approve new language and modifications to the “Task Force to Eliminate Subminimum Wage Law” that was slipped into the MN Health and Human Services Omnibus budget bill during the July, 2021 Special Session. The amendment language passed by the Senate in Feb. of 2022 shifts the funding and focus of the taskforce toward increasing and improving Employment Choice, rather than eliminating special minimum wages. Now we need your help in getting the 2022 legislation, HF3447 and HF4071, passed through the House of Representatives! Please read the Action Alert information!
A-Team MN Supports the following bills:
This amendment language is currently pending as a part of the budget bill.
A-Team Minnesota is deeply concerned about the original July 2021 “Task Force to Eliminate Subminimum Wages” law because:
- This action was taken without families and people with Intellectual or Developmental Disabilities (I/DD) having the opportunity to testify to legislators about why protecting the special minimum wage option and honoring their informed choice is important to their quality of life.
- The proposed taskforce membership to facilitate transition does not include advocacy groups or family members that truly represent the people with I/DD who will be most directly affected by this action.
- The impacts of this action, which include great potential for closure of center based work options, will limit, rather than expand choices for people with I/DD.
- The proposed “study” already has a predetermined goal and outcome: to eliminate “subminimum” wages by August 1, 2025. With a biased taskforce in place, the results are unlikely to represent the people who will be most affected by this action.
- The original bill, HF33, was not voted upon in the House and had never been sent to the Senate or to a committee. This bill was passed without hearing from the people who will be most affected by it.
If you are interested, here is a link to the text of the original law: HF 33, Article 17, Section 14 (Scroll down to 492.6 on the left side of your screen to find the correct section):
Contact Your Lawmakers!
The single most important thing you can do is let your lawmakers know how you feel and why the effects of these bills are personally important to you. EVERY VOICE COUNTS!
Be sure to include your name, address, and contact information along with the name of your loved one with a disability if you are contacting on someone else’s behalf. Lawmakers are elected to represent people in their own districts.
However, it is also helpful to send letters to committee members who are actively working on these bills, even if you do not live in their district. Hard copy letters work best for this.
Click the report below to learn more about the 14c Special Wage Provision of the Fair Labor Standards Act:
Please consider joining A-Team Minnesota to join forces with other families and individuals in our grassroots effort to protect and expand the disability service options for people with all levels of ability! Every voice makes a difference!
You can help Please share this information with others you know who will be affected. It is important that our lawmakers hear from their constituents about how eliminating special minimum wages and center based vocational options will affect people with I/DD. Click the testimonies below to help shape your own advocacy letters. Join our monthly meetings to learn how to reach out to your lawmakers!