A-Team Minnesota is deeply concerned about the original July 2021 “Task Force to Eliminate Subminimum Wages” law because:
- This action was taken without families and people with Intellectual or Developmental Disabilities (I/DD) having the opportunity to testify to legislators about why protecting the special minimum wage option and honoring their informed choice is important to their quality of life.
- The proposed taskforce membership to facilitate transition does not include advocacy groups or family members that truly represent the people with I/DD who will be most directly affected by this action.
- The impacts of this action, which include great potential for closure of center based work options, will limit, rather than expand choices for people with I/DD.
- The proposed “study” already has a predetermined goal and outcome: to eliminate “subminimum” wages by August 1, 2025. With a biased taskforce in place, the results are unlikely to represent the people who will be most affected by this action.
- The original bill, HF33, was not voted upon in the House and had never been sent to the Senate or to a committee. This bill was passed without hearing from the people who will be most affected by it.
How you can act now!
If you are interested, here is a link to the text of the original law: HF 33, Article 17, Section 14 (Scroll down to 492.6 on the left side of your screen to find the correct section):